Kabul. At least seven people were killed and 41 others, including several children, were injured when a car bomb exploded near a mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Friday. A Taliban official said this information. No organization claimed responsibility for the attack. There have been several such attacks since the Taliban took power in Afghanistan a year ago. After an explosion in the city’s diplomatic quarter today, black smoke covered the sky and gunfire was heard for several minutes.
Abdul Nafi Thakor, a Taliban-appointed spokesman for the interior ministry, said a car loaded with explosives was parked on the side of the road near the mosque and detonated as worshipers were leaving the mosque after Friday prayers. Thakur said the police are on the spot and investigations are on.
Italian emergency hospitals said earlier that 14 injured people had been brought there, four of whom died on arrival at the hospital. Khalid Zadran, a spokesman for Kabul’s police chief, said the blast was aimed at worshipers leaving the Wazir Akbar Khan mosque after Friday prayers.
— Nazir Shah (@SsyedHhussain) September 23, 2022
Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said, “Targeting mosques and worshipers is an unforgivable crime. The government must cooperate in rooting out criminals in the country. Meanwhile, the United Nations Mission in Kabul tweeted that the bombing was “another stark reminder of ongoing insecurity and terrorist activities in Afghanistan”. “Our condolences to the victims. We wish the injured a speedy recovery,” he said. (organization)